If you’re looking to command attention at your next formal event, we’ve got two words for you — statement suit. This is the stylish alternative to the standard, and we’re living for it. Well-dressed guys know that styling a statement suit is not always the easiest task, especially if you’re used to following the traditional rules of suiting. In this guide, we’ll go over some great tips on how to crush the statement suit in a way that’s memorable and true to you.
What Is a Statement Suit?
As their name implies, statement suits are dress suits that are designed to make a statement rather than blend in, helping you break the mold and reach your fullest fashion potential. They differ from standard suits in that they deviate from typical suiting conventions, whether that be in the color, the material or the suiting components themselves. For example, you might find a statement suit in a bright color or funky pattern. You’ll also find statement suits in common colors like gray or midnight blue with extra components, such as a vest.
Tips for Choosing a Statement Suit
Regardless of which route you take, you can count on these men’s suits to say something big about your personality and sense of style, whether you’re going for bright and bold or subtly unexpected. Here are some tips that will help you choose and style your first one.
- Determine Your Statement Vibe — The first question you need to ask yourself when choosing a statement suit is what kind of style you’re after. Are you a fan of the eye-catching pastel suits rocked by Tyler, the Creator? How about the retro-inspired patterned suits Harry Styles debuted on his recent tour? You may prefer something on the subtle end of the statement spectrum, such as a pinstripe or plaid three-piece suit or something done in luxe velvet. Floral, paisley, pinstripes, pastels and plaid are all great vibes to consider.
- Go for a Fun Twist on a Classic Pattern — Sure, we all love novelty suits with funny prints — remember the question mark suit guy? — but you want to avoid anything too gimmicky if your goal is to look sharply dressed. To avoid your suit looking like a costume or theme party attire, choose a style that takes a traditional menswear pattern and integrates it in an unexpected way. Paisley print and plaid suits are always great options for guys who want to look super-fashionable and unique without pushing the envelope too far.
- Solid Colors Can Make Statements, Too — Prints aren’t the only way to give your ensemble a statement flair. Fun solid-colored suits will make a similar splash and may be easier to style. Plus, you can always make them a bit funkier with some cool accessories, such as standout shoes, a bold tie or a contrasting pocket square. From vibrant pastels to jewel-toned velvet options, there are plenty of solid-colored suits that will help you stand out in a crowd.
- Pick a Statement Angle — Once you’ve determined if you want to channel your energy into a unique color, a funky pattern or an unexpected fabric, you’ll want to decide where, exactly, you’ll bring the statement element to life. For example, you may choose to rock an eye-catching dinner jacket with solid-colored pants. You could also go with a classic jacket and pants with a statement vest, tie and pocket square. Bottom line? You don’t have to dress in head-to-toe floral to get the eye-catching effect. You can work it in here and there and still make a big impact.
- Downplay Your Accessories — We’re not here to impose unnecessary fashion rules — those were meant to be broken anyway — but we do have one word of advice for gents who want to strike a nice balance between funky and classic. If you’re going big with a statement suit, consider wearing more subtle accessories. Classics like a dress watch and simple cufflinks are a lot easier to coordinate with colorful and busy patterns, and they’ll add a more polished look.
- Prepare to Be Creative — If you’re used to classic menswear, you may be a bit intimidated by the idea of rocking a statement suit. These suits often require out-of-the-box thinking, especially when it comes to picking your dress shirt, shoes and neckwear. The most important thing you can do when styling this kind of suit is to flex your fashion muscles a bit more than you normally would. It isn’t as calculated or defined as typical suit styling, so don’t be afraid to get creative.
- Ditch the Standard Dress Shirt — One of the things we’re seeing often these days is a departure from the standard white dress shirt beneath suits. Of course, French cuffs have a time and a place, but it may not be with your statement suit. Instead, try pairing your sleek jacket and pants with a turtleneck, a sweater vest or even a T-shirt. The shirt you choose will depend on the formality of the occasion as well as the print and color of your jacket, of course, so let the situation guide you to the right accompaniment.
The key takeaway? Don’t be afraid to step outside of your comfort zone when choosing and styling a statement suit. This men’s fashion trend is all about pushing boundaries and breaking age-old fashion rules, so go ahead and get creative with your suiting style.
Related Topic: How To Dress Like Chris Hemsworth